Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Crocodile Hunter

I am saddened by the death of a man I never knew. As the world now knows, Steve Irwin is no longer with us on this Earth.

I watched a Q & A show about him which originally aired 2 years ago. The biggest thing that struck me was that his passion for wildlife conservation was only surpassed by one thing, the love for his family.

He spoke of his parents. As tears welled up in his eyes, he stated that they were his heroes.

He spoke of his children. Again, with tears, he stated that his biggest goal in life was to be for his children what his parents had been for him.

I looked at my own life.

Were my parents my heroes? Most definitely not!

Am I living my life so that someday my children will say that I am one of their heroes? Up to this point, I would have to say no.

I have been on a crash course to repeat the cycle.
Difference is, I want to be my kids' heroes, I don't think the thought ever occurred to my parents.

It's time to put selfish indulgence aside so that I can wake up some morning and honestly be able to answer that last question with a yes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home