Friday, August 04, 2006

My UPS Delivery Guy

Got a delivery this evening. This is unremarkable in and of itself. But the guy who has the route in my neighborhood is remarkable.

Now you're probably thinking he's some hunk with an incredible body and a face like Brad Pitt. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
(Although, I must say the Fed Ex guy from my old neighborhood in Georgia almost fit that bill.)

Let me describe the UPS guy.

I don't know his name. He's a black man and I'd guess he's in his 40's. He's on the tall side, around 6 ft. Thin build, I'd guess about 150-160lbs.

So far nothing remarkable, right? Until you see his smile. He's got to have the greatest, happiest smile of anyone I've ever come into contact with. I'd swear his face is splitting in half everytime I see him. And it's genuine, not feigned. He has that smile on his face from the moment he drives up, until the moment he drives away. He has been delivering to my house for the 3 years I have lived here and everytime I see him he's smiling that smile.

Now, he's human, I'm sure he has bad days, but you'd never know by the look on his face. He really seems to just enjoy life and it's impossible not to smile back when he greets me by name, by name! Something, I'm sure he takes special care to do with each and every delivery. And as he is walking away back to his truck, he always, always wishes me a good day, weekend, whatever, and I think he really means it.

I don't know your name Mr. UPS guy but thanks for bringing a little sunshine to my door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home